The Chinese arrived in Bendigo during the gold rush of the 1850s. In 1854, it was estimated there were 4,000 Chinese on the Bendigo fields.
The Chinese first established themselves in the White Hills area where the present Joss House is and another building which burned down, once housed Loong (the oldest Imperial dragon). They then established communities in the Bridge Street region, for what reason, is unknown.
In 1871 the Chinese community joined the Bendigo Easter Procession to assist in fundraising for charity. The Chinese community gained recognition for their interest and generosity that the community was asked to assist and participate with the Easter Fair. There were scores of finely embroidered costumes, banners of all colours and shapes, richly carved iron wheeled vehicles and musical instruments for Chinese bands. Part of this collection can be seen in the Golden Dragon Museum. In 1892 a local newspaper reported the first appearance of a dragon (Loong) in the Bendigo Easter Procession.